Here’s something you may not know – Dave has lost about 30 pounds since February. I know, right? My already good looking husband looks AMAZING, and it’s all due to diet (mainly portion control) and exercise. He’s also started P90X a few weeks ago, and is already seeing results. (Meanwhile I’ve worked out once since having Sadie. I should probably do something about that. After I eat this ice cream.)
So now when I meal plan, I try to make sure that the meals are healthy, at least a majority of the time. Rachael Ray, who I decided will henceforth be known as RayRay on this blog, struck my fancy with her Grilled Corn & Black Bean Salad. Thank god this woman has a magazine and cookbooks, because whenever her talk show comes on TV after Live! with Kelly, I immediately dive for the remote. That voice…ughh!
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I used bottled)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced (omitted)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (Could NOT find this at my grocery store, so I used feta)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced (omitted… because I bought it too early and it went bad )
1. Have your husband preheat the grill to medium because your BBQ scares you. Add the corn and grill until charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely. (Husband does this entire part. You wait for the corn to be ready. Preferably with a drink in hand.)
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the EVOO, lime juice, chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a large, sharp knife, carefully cut the corn kernels from the cobs and transfer to the bowl (if you’re like me, you make your husband do this part too, for fear of slicing off a finger). Add the beans, radishes, scallions and cilantro; toss well. Divide the salad among 4 plates; top with the queso and avocado.
I need to work on my food photography