WTF Rachael Ray, W.T.F?

I’ve mentioned before that I’m a pretty big fan of Rachael Ray recipes, and I have her cookbook and subscribe to her magazine because while I like her recipes, I can’t stand the sound of the woman’s voice. (I swear, it sounds like she smokes 4 packs a day.) I also receive the Rachael Ray Magazine newsletters via email, which is nice since sometimes I don’t have time to read the magazine right away. Today I received one of those newsletters in my inbox, with the subject line Party Ideas: Halloween Kids’ Party. I don’t have any kids, but I like fun Halloween themed snack foods. However, I opened the email to see this staring at me:

Seriously, WTF is that?

Here’s a closer look, for those of you who are as utterly confused as I was:

?????

What are they, you ask? (And why the hell would anyone serve them at a KIDS HALLOWEEN PARTY?!?!) RRay calls them “Buried Alive Muffins“. I’m not bothered by the name, but by the fact that you’re inserting a plastic doll arm into the muffin! To make it look like someone is BURIED INSIDE. GROSS. (Meanwhile “plastic doll arms” are not listed as part of the ingredients – merely noted as a side.)  I hate to say, I would NOT serve this at a kid’s party.  Also – wouldn’t you be afraid that a young kid would try to eat the arm?  What ever happened to simple Halloween goodies, like Dirt & Worms?  Or passing around cold spaghetti a brains?  Peeled grapes as eyes?  Ewww.  None of this Severed Hand Toasts crap.  (Really RRay??  Really?)  So weird.

In other news, the winner of the Butterfinger Snackerz giveaway is…

jberthiaume from These Words on my Lips!!
(I’d love to see a pic of that award winning Juno costume!)

Please email me at Perksofbeingajap[at]gmail[dot]com with your mailing address!

Comments

1. I would also be concerned that the plastic would emit chemicals into the muffins somehow? I mean I see from the recipe that you don't actually bake the arms, but I assume they have to be inserted while the muffins are soft and hot? Aren't you not even supposed to microwave plastic? It just seems like an all-around bad idea.

2. Anonymous says:

I saw these very things on another blog post (that I found through All & Sundry) and she had made them as a surprise for her neighbors. I guess buried baby arms are de rigeur these days!

Check out the buried baby arm version here:

3. cailen ascher says:

ewww that doll arm thing is bizarre and gross. definitely would not serve at any halloween party. ever.

4. LOL!!!!! Hilaaarious.

5. ablogofherown says:

What….the. hell.
    RRay is CrayCray.
    gross.

6. So sad that I don't actually have ANY pictures from that night! A crappy cell phone picture does exist, but I have no idea who took it and they never sent it to me. πŸ™

But OMG Butterfingers! I'm so excited, and I'll be sure to let you know how awesome they are when I try them!

7. Tails from the City says:

I love her show…but whenever she says, "Parmeseano Reggiano", I want to slit my wrists. πŸ™‚

8. corkyshell says:

Hahahahahahahaha. I am so glad you posted this. That is the craziest thing I've seen. Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚ And let me know when you're going to make me some Buried Alive Muffins, would you?

9. Novelista Barista says:

ahahhahh
    that made me laugh lolllllllllllll
    gotta love ur reaction!!

10. A little disturbing. This may be why kids need so much counseling these days…. lol

11. um that is so disturbing on so many levels, wow.

12. Suburban Sweetheart says:

How bizarre. I appreciate the attempt at creativity, I think, but… dude, no. especially not for kids.

13. hahah WOW i don't even know what to say about that. crazzzzy!

14. Jessica (Bayjb) says:

That is seriously disturbing. While it may be more appropriate for a hilarious adult party treat, I would still not serve it. Seriously, that's too much

15. If you're going to put it on food for children, it's got to be edible or you're going to have to explain to Little Timmy's parents why he's got doll parts swimming around in his stomach.

16. omgoodness this made me die of laughter!!!

thank you.

also LOVED the blue barricuda idea.. I meant to post it on fbook but i used to LOVE Legends…