"Shut Up!"

Today was my Valentine’s Day. Dave and I made plans to celebrate it today, since Dave has a show to put on, on the 14th. No biggie, Valentine’s Day isn’t huge to us anyway, so it didn’t matter to me to celebrate it a week early. Our plan was to walk along the Brooklyn Bridge, and then have brunch somewhere over in Brooklyn. I was worried about the cold weather we’d been having, but by some miracle we had the best weather possible, and it was sunny and a nice 50 degrees.

We exchanged cards (all horny themed… figures), and some gifts before we left. Well we get to the city to park the car, and as I’m getting out, Dave pulls a bouquet of roses from the back of the car, hands them to me, and says, “leave your bag, and just take what you need.” At this point I’m kind of confused, but not really thinking of anything else since I didn’t want to get my hopes up, and I didn’t think he would do it today.

We walked to the bridge, and took some pictures along the way…

The Unsuspecting
We continued our walk across the bridge, and then Dave stopped us in the middle, to look at the view.

Now, I can’t say on here what exactly he did next, because it involves his last name, and I don’t want to reveal that to the internet. But I will say that it was super cute, and very, very creative. If I know you personally, you either know the story, or I can tell you in an email!

But after that, he pointed down towards one of the support beams that were holding up the railing, and I saw this:

You probably can’t see it, but it says, “Lacey is all I need.”
Dave had gone to the bridge yesterday, and taped that post-it note to the bridge. It’s actually something that he’s written me before on a Post-It, which I still have on my desk. So he copied it, and also took video of himself on the bridge with it yesterday, in case it had been taken down by the time we got there.

At that point, I graciously said, “SHUT UP!” (as the title of this post says) as Dave got down on one knee and asked me to marry him with the most beautiful ring I’d seen in my life. It was upside down at first, but then he realized that and flipped it right side up. And of course I said yes and started crying immediately. The crying kind of surprised me but it came with the moment so I went with it.

It’s cliche but it definitely all happened so fast and I’m glad that I had to call all my friends and relatives today to tell them the story, so I could recount it for them, and for myself.

And what I loved the most is that it was in a public place which I always wanted and a few people clapped, people came up to us to congratulate us and a photographer who happened to be there with her family saw us and took pictures as it was happening, and then gave us her card to contact her and she said she would send us the disc of pictures. So cool!

Afterwards we continued walking across the bridge and had the most delicious brunch at The River CafeΒ which as Dave says, is way too nice for us. Ha! (It’s true.) And after brunch, we walked back across the bridge and to the car, where I began the immense amount of phone calls that I needed to make. Because as Arielle explicitly expressed to me before if she found out I was engaged via Facebook she would kill me.

It’s still so surreal! πŸ™‚

Us after the proposal, before brunch
The RING

Comments

1. That’s so flipping exciting!! Congratulations! And the post-it note? ADORABLE.

2. congrats!!! your ring is GORGEOUS!

3. Oh my gosh! I’m so happy for you!

Congrats!

4. What a great story. I love your ring! Congratulations!!!

5. Congratulations, what a sweet and perfect proposal. Complete with “shut up!” Haha!

Love your ring, it is beautiful!

6. Congrats! The ring is beautiful, and the proposal sounds incredibly sweet!

7. AHHHHHHHH YAYAY!! SOOO excited for you!! Let the wedding planning commence!!

AND AH what a RING woman!!! Dave did goooood. πŸ˜‰

8. yay!!!! congrats and your ring? is like my DREAM engagement ring. I love it.

hahah PS i just tweeted you with “SHUT UP” before I read the post and realized that’s what you said. too funny.

9. Congrats to you two!! Beautiful ring.

10. Somehow, when I got to the first picture in the “story” I had this fleeting thought–“I wonder if they got engaged…” LOL!!!

Now, I have 3 other things to say:
    1) CONGRATULATIONS CHICA!!!!!!!!
    2) You look beautiful in that first pic!
    3) That is one crazy (in a good way!) ring!
    *Hugs*
    Ciao!

11. OMG That is the most adorable story ever! You and Dave looks so great together… and that ring is GORGEOUS!!!

12. Congrats! the ring is beautiful!

13. Congratulations!! I can’t wait to see the rock close-up!

14. What a great story! so adorable. And that ring is to die for. Congratulations!!!!

15. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

16. Pearls and Bows says

oh my gosh your ring is amazing!!! Congrats that’s so wonderful!

17. chitowndebutante says

congrats! the ring is gorgeous

18. AHHH! The ring is gorgeous! Congrats!!!

19. HOLY AMAZING RING!!!! Congrats!!!!

20. alexa - cleveland's a plum says

oh em gee. congratulations my dear!!! what a wonderful proposal story!

and that ring, er ROCK is so beautiful.

yay : )

21. Jess@thehomebound says

Congrats! It will be an exciting time.

22. OHMAHGAWD!!! This is the cutest, most adorable, OHMYGOD, sweetest thing ever! I am so happy for you!!!

And the ring.is.gorgeous!!

xoxo

23. The Maiden Metallurgist says

Wonderful news, best wishes!

24. YAY!!!!!!!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ adorable story and beauuuuuuttiiful ring πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Best wishes to you and congrats to Dave!!! πŸ™‚

25. Congratulations! That is so exciting!!

26. Holy crap! That’s so exciting–congrats! And that ring is freaking gorgeous!

27. omg!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

28. Jen Kucsak says

Oh my god I thought things only happened like that in movies! That is so creative and love the ring!!!!! CONGRATS

29. Yay ring pictures! It’s fabuloussss and I’m stealing it. The end. I’m excited to have Dave as my BFF-in-law! =)

30. corkyshell says

WHOA! Absolutely beautiful ring!!!

I am so, so, so, so happy for you. You definitely deserve all of it πŸ™‚

31. Yay! That is awesome!

CONGRATS! πŸ˜€

32. CONGRATULATIONS, LACEY! πŸ™‚

33. Congrats!! What a cute story πŸ™‚

34. CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you both! πŸ™‚

35. ooooooh my gooooooooshhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I’m so happy for you πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

36. distractedspunk says

That’s such a gorgeous ring! Well done, Dave.

And Lacey, I’m so happy for you! It all sounds lovely and sweet and essentially New York. πŸ™‚

Can’t wait to hear the details as you go along!

37. Classy in Philadelphia says

HOLY CRAP! I am SOOOOO excited for you. You so deserve it, and you look beautiful in all the pictures! So romantic. I can’t wait to hear more about it!

38. okay i know i just posted on your facebook but i have to post here again, but CONGRATS! aw! such a sweet proposal! πŸ™‚

39. Wearing Mascara says

LACEY! I am so excited for you! That ring is UNBELIEVABLE too.. wow!!! What a cute story too πŸ™‚ Happiness!

Julie

40. insomniaclolita says

OH MY GODDDDD congratulations for you and himmm! Sounds like a very romantic fairy tale πŸ™‚

41. Wow, that’s really cute and huge congratulations to both of you x

42. Congrats!!!!!

43. Holy crapface! Yay! That is so amazingly wonderful! πŸ™‚ Congratulations πŸ™‚

44. AHHHHHHHHH!!!! Congratulations! It’s amazing how we just blurt out whatever comes to our mind first in a moment like that. When JJ proposed, he opened the box with the ring and it had this little light that lit up the ring. The first thing I said after he proposed was “The box lights up!” Yeah really smooth.

45. Mrs. Jenna says

Congrats Lacey!!!

Yes – I never wanted to be the crying girl with the proposal…yet the waterworks began with no notice.

Beautiful ring!!

46. congratulations! that’s so sweet and so exciting. love the ring!

47. Awww! That’s sweet. I just started following this blog, and I am still all verklempt for you!

48. High-heel gal says

Aw, congrats!!! Does your man have a brother?! πŸ˜‰ haha

49. Future Mrs. SCL says

OMG! Congrats! When I read the part about leaving your purse I was hoping this was where it was going! Your ring is gorgeous!! Congratulations!

50. Congratulations! Your ring is so gorgeous, and the proposal story is so romantic!

51. stealthnerd says

Wow!! That ring is incredible! Congratulations!!! πŸ™‚

52. thatShortChick says

CONGRATS!! that’s an amazing story and an even more amazing ring!!!

absolutely beautiful.

53. OMG that is so awesome!!! YAY for love!

54. Congrats!!!! Let the wedding planning frenzy begin!

55. Joy @ Big Time Fancy says

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CONGRATS!

56. OMG OMG YAY CONGRATULATIONS this is awesome and what an adorable way for it to happen and the ring is gorgeous I am so excited for you YAY!!!!

YAY!!! Congratulations! That is so exciting! And what a cute way to propose!

58. Little Match Girl says

Mazel Tov!

59. Congratulations!!!

The ring is AMAZING!!!

60. That’s so, so, so cute!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

61. What a great story! Congratulations and the ring is beautiful.

62. notthelifeiordered says

OH my gosh!! That is SO great!!!! Congratulations Lacey! And the ring is gorgeous πŸ™‚

63. Congratulations!!! So happy for you! πŸ™‚

64. Jossie Posie says

Congratulations! The ring is beautiful πŸ™‚

65. amindinmotown says

Congratulations!!!! So exciting. And what a beautiful ring!

OH MY LORD THAT RING IS SPECTACULAR!!! That’s the type of style I love too. I’m not a solitare kind of girl, like something different. Congrats πŸ™‚

67. hautepocket says

Congratulations! What a sweet story.

(I’m new to your blog, by the way, and can’t wait to read more!)

68. WiscoBlonde says

Hooray! I get to say “Eeeeeeee” twice!

69. The Cape House says

That is so sweet and you are so lucky to be getting pictures of it happening! What an amazing day! (And what a great rock!)

70. Lacey!!! Congrats!! Your ring is absolutely beautiful and you two make a gorgeous couple πŸ™‚

71. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I actually jumped out of my chair when I read this! How exciting! What an exciting and thoughtful proposal. The ring is stunning.

72. many, many congratulations and happy wishes to you! such happy and exciting news!

73. ablogofherown.wordpress.com says

Congratulations!

74. Christy Lou Who says

I said “aww” out loud when I read this! Congratulations! I hope you are so so happy (I’m sure you will be!)

75. nicoleantoinette says

Oh my GOSH! I’m all kinds of squee-ing for you right now. You deserve this so, so much.

76. I found your blog through Tracy-Anne’s! Congratualtions! I got engaged at the same place back in July! It’s really the perfect place to get engaged! Your ring is gorgeous!

77. WOW!! Big congratulations!!

78. YAY! Congrats! If you need any wedding blog recs, I’ve been sifting through a TON lately. πŸ™‚ So cute!

79. The ring is exquisite. Amazing wedding proposal story. It sure is one for the books. πŸ™‚ Congratulations and have fun planning the wedding!!! πŸ˜€

80. Congrats! That’s so exciting!

81. I am so happy for you!

82. Congrats!!!

83. Sweet Soft Southern Thrill says

OMG! I can’t believe I’m just now reading this…CONGRATS! So exciting!

84. Sorry to be soooooo late to this, but CONGRATULATIONS!!! πŸ™‚

1. Dear Dave, says:

[…] You probably don’t remember the exact date, but 3 years ago today, you popped the question. […]

2. […] and as for walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, well you all know that occurred this past February when we got engaged. Regardless, that list was from 2008, and so we need one for […]

3. […] Day was never anything big for us. We’ve always kept it pretty low key, well, expect for the fake Valentine’s Day when we got engaged. But I LOVE celebrating holidays more and more with Sadie and Valentine’s Day is no […]

4. […] ever gone out for an actual romantic heartsΒ andΒ candles Valentine’s Day date! And since we got engaged the week before Valentine’s Day it kind of puts this Hallmark holiday to shame. […]

5. […] on the card that it was for OUR Valentine’s Day, which was a nod back to when we got engaged! Dave proposed a week before Valentine’s Day and the ruse was that we were celebrating Valentine’s Day a week early because he had to work […]

6. […] Who else gets to get engaged on the Brooklyn Bridge? And have a note taped to the bridge for them? AND have a photographer randomly see them and follow them so now we have pictures of the moment for forever? […]