I travel a bunch for work. Well, I travel less than I did before I had Sadie, but it’s still a part of my job, and some months crazier than others. (This month is a brutal month.) So far since the end of May, I’ve been to Toronto, San Francisco and Minneapolis and in the next few weeks, I’ll be heading to San Francisco again, and then Chicago in July. Phew!
When I am away from home for work, I’ve noticed that I fall into the same routines and rituals each time, regardless of what city I’m in.
1. Indulge in a bath.
I don’t have time for them at home, plus our tub doesn’t seem to… keep all the water inside (it slowly drains out). Filling a giant tub with hot water and some suds, and cracking open a great book on my Kindle is one of my top travel rituals when staying at a hotel for work.
2. Order room service. Honestly sometimes after a long travel day, or after working an event all day, I just don’t feel like going out for food. I LOVE room service. And I pretty much always get carded for whatever drink I order, since I’m usually in PJ pants and my college hoodie. Haha!
3. Buy a People Magazine for the flight. This is my travel KEY. I love People, but don’t splurge on it normally. For traveling though, it helps pass the time. And I love the Puzzler!
4. Find all the great drinks either at the hotel, or nearby. For example – this Garden of Eden Gimlet seen below:
This is quite possibly my most favorite drink EVER. It’s made with Charbay Green Tea Vodka, basil and fresh lime juice. I’m dying to recreate it at home! I order it every time I am in San Francisco.
5. Bring my travel pillow. You know one of those donut looking ones you can buy at the airport? Yeah – it took me about 3 months of straight traveling almost every week or so to finally cave in and buy one. Totally worth it on long flights!
6. And last, but certainly not least, watch any and all Law and Order: SVU marathons.
I just HAVE to watch when it’s on!
Do you have any rituals when traveling?